Attractions & Activities
Must-See Illinois Vacation Attractions
The Vrooman Mansion, although nestled in the residential neighborhood of Dimmitt's Grove, is very close to many diverse places that you can see and explore. You're guaranteed to find something to do if you can pull yourself from the quiet relaxing atmosphere of the mansion.
Our top 10 favorite things to do...
- Stroll down Grove Street to downtown Bloomington. Enjoy the Farmers' Market on a sunny summer Saturday morning. Consider a casual and delicious lunch at Kelly's Bakery & Cafe or an afternoon pick-me-up at the Coffee Hound or the Chocolatier.
- Enjoy the day visiting one of the local wineries. Bring back a bottle of wine, and have a relaxing evening sitting on the side porch.
- Relive the rich history by taking a tour through the David Davis Mansion and learn about Sarah Davis, one of Julia's competitors. Drive through the many historic districts in Bloomington/Normal.
- Go biking, jogging, cross-country skiing or walking down the Constitution Trail. Stop and rest at the historic Franklin Park.
- Spend the day antiquing in downtown Bloomington. Check out A. Gridley Antiques, Par's Rug Warehouse, or the Village Antiques. Stay and enjoy dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and linger for an after-dinner drink at The Loft martini bar.
- Remember being a kid again; go and spend some time with the monkeys at Miller Park Zoo. Ride the paddleboats and go for ice cream at Gene's Dairy Delight or Carl's Ice cream, both locally owned businesses.
- Take a road trip for the day to Springfield, only an hour away; see the new Lincoln Museum. Visit the Dana Thomas House and enjoy lunch or dinner at Maldaner's or Augie's Front Burner.
- Make an excursion to the Third Sunday Market searching for that something special or a great deal you can't pass up. Spend a Friday evening at the Bloomington Auction Gallery; join in the bidding or just watch as bids are placed on each item.
- Enjoy a picnic at Ewing Manor before an evening at the Shakespeare Festival, pizza at the Lucca Grill before a concert or sporting event at the Coliseum or evening of laughing at the Funny Bone Comedy Club.
- Rock climbing any time of the year at Upper Limits and return to your room for a long soak in the tub or an in-room massage.