Spring is here and several outdoor events are on the calendar across Central Illinois. Whether you’re looking for a fun way to celebrate the women in your life for Mother’s Day, or simply want to get out as a couple or with friends, here are some things to check out. If you’re not from Bloomington, let us be your home base for these events so you can start every morning with an epic breakfast, and have the perfect location to reconnect and talk about your adventures from the day in one of our unique spaces like the parlor, music room, library, or side porch.
- May 1st: The Downtown Farmer’s Market officially kicks off! McLean County is known for having some of the best soil in the US, perfect for farming. And in case you didn’t know, the Vroomans and Scotts who owned the Mansion had a huge impact on agriculture locally and throughout the Midwest. Meet a farmer and buy the freshest produce you’ll find around. Check out their event details including time and vendors on Facebook.
- May 7th: Unlock a Piece of History in Downtown Bloomington: A free evening event celebrating Historic Preservation Month. Our mansion was built in 1869, and there is more history all around us. The McLean County History Museum will be hosting mini tours outside, so you can learn and visit local businesses that call Bloomington home. Event details and participating downtown businesses
- May 9th Mother’ Day: Mackinaw Valley Vineyard teamed up with Merlot and a Masterpiece to create a Mother’s Day Event at the Vineyard on May 9th. Spend the early afternoon at the vineyard where they teach you how to paint together and have a wine tasting at the same time, along with cheese and crackers from local artisans. Then come back to the mansion for an evening together where you can laugh, enjoy any wine you bought, or evening opt to have s’mores at the outdoor fireplace. Feel free to have dinner delivered to the mansion, or we can recommend some local places for you to try. In the morning you can share an epic breakfast together before you get back to the grind.
- May 14th – 23rd: BN Bites & Brews: Celebrate and support the local restaurants in the Bloomington-Normal Area with this 10-day festival! Whether you prefer burgers, beer, sushi, or tacos, Bloomington-Normal has got you covered. All participating restaurants will have offers like a meal package, special menu item, or a discount.
- May 16th: Third Sunday Market is back! A vintage market that is near and dear to our hearts because of its focus on antiques. You can find your next piece of history to bring new life to your home or office. Then come to downtown Bloomington for lunch at one of our great locally owned restaurants.
- May 23rd: Blono Car Club and Coffee: If you or someone in your life loves cars and learning about them, check out their monthly car show. Meet the owners and ask about their stories. (And if you’re not from around here, BloNo is short for Bloomington-Normal)
- May 29th – 30th International Music, Wine and Craft Beer Festival: All outdoors and spread out across the Mackinaw Valley Vineyard, there is live music and with a handful of drink tickets you can taste wine and beer from local wineries and breweries. Admission is $15 per person and you can get more details at the Mackinaw Valley Vineyard website. This is a great reason to take a road trip to central Illinois. Let us be your home base for 2 nights so you can have a place to come back to after your adventures and start each morning with a full breakfast before the tastings begin!
Don’t forget that Mother’s Day is in May so plan ahead to create new memories with the women in your life!
Did you know… Vrooman Mansion is influenced by a pretty prominent Mother Daughter duo? The original owners of the mansion were the Scotts and the Vroomans. Julia Scott and Julia Vrooman were an impressive mother/daughter combination who influenced others through their philanthropy locally and abroad. And later in life they led their family businesses, too. Consider staying with us for the weekend and not only can you learn about their history and relationship, but most importantly you can reconnect and create your own memories in the most unique bed and breakfast in central Illinois (did we say we cook breakfast and do all the dishes?)
Spring is here, enjoy it with us!